2. F.I.S.H. "The Society Of The Broken Egg" (Un-Iverse #50)

 Rating: PG-13 (Bloody Violence, Adult Themes) 
































































Author's Note for F.I.S.H. #2 "The Society Of The Broken Egg" (Un-Iverse #50) 

This issue scared and annoyed the hell out of me. It was the first issue EVER that did not go as I planned, and that's both humbling, and frankly troubling. EVERY single issue, good and bad, before this went down exactly as I planned, and this one got totally outside of what I intended. And it scares me. You'll probably think me stupid for being upset, but I still am. 

The outline to this one is around ten or fifteen years old. I might be mistaken, and it could older or newer than that. But the outline has been around long enough that I can't remember precisely when I came up with it. The plan for this outline was for this issue to be the single worst issue EVER in The Un-Iverse. By necessity, I needed to do some crappy writing choices that would pay off later, but piss off the reader NOW. I would pay my dues and make it up to the reader later by making the necessary crappy writing feel needed in hindsight and as if it needed to exist to make the rest of the saga great. You'd hate it when you first read it but be tickled in hindsight after the saga was over. I did a similar idea with The Humans, but those are just five or six page gag stories that are easy to read, hate, dismiss, and then forget about. Making an entire legit issue of one of my major titles suck for a greater long haul purpose was a risk, and one I intended to roll the dice on, even if I lost readers (and I invariably would). That was the plan for around ten years. Never changed. 

I don't know about you, but I don't think that's the worst issue. By a longshot. It's actually pretty damn good. And that fact makes me unhappy. 

It couldn't bring myself to write the crappy elements I needed to and tried the script without them (or at least glossing them over). It worked but I worried I would be putting off payment of that for later and the same risks occurred for the sixth issue of F.I.S.H. (with is already completed) as well as the ninth (which has been scripted). Luckily, I navigated my way around that too, and when I did it for the ninth issue I made the notion irrelevant going forward. But I am unhappy this issue went down differently than I planned. 

If I can turn a bad issue good, especially one that spent a decade being planned as a bad issue, doesn't it stand to reason some of my awesome upcoming issues could potentially suck? The one comfort I take in the saga "getting away from me" here is that ir was a deliberate and conscious choice on my end at least (Thank God) so perhaps the only way those upcoming Terran Wars issues will suck is if I decide they should (Spoiler alert: I won't). Still the issue made me uneasy for that. 

It is the 50th issue of The Un-Iverse but no milestone is celebrated. Centering a story around issue numberings or episode counts is just... Not realistic. I'm not saying The Un-Iverse is realistic. But it doesn't live and die by TV midseasons, premieres and finales, so it doesn't abide anniversaries either. 


Next Issue: Lace Doilies #2 "Spamageddon" (Un-Iverse #51)

Back To The Index

If you like Gilda And Meek Buy Me A Coffee!




Copyright Matt Zimmer and UnComix 2022.  All Rights Reserved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome To Gilda And Meek And The Un-Iverse!

1. Gilda And Meek "Groundwork" Special Edition (Un-Iverse #1)

1. The Pontue Legacy "Part One: The Fall Of Finn" (Un-Iverse #9)