2. UnComix One-Shots: Narf-Narf And Chirp (Un-Iverse #16)

Rating: PG-13. Violence, scatological humor, sexual situations, adult themes.




























Author's Note for UnComix One-Shots #2: Narf-Narf And Chirp (Un-Iverse #16) 

A turning point for The Un-Iverse and probably the most consequential issue I put to paper in the last 30 years. 

Not because of the bookburning stuff. Although, no lie, it is a shockingly sharp turn in Reverend Vic Puff's descent into evil and madness. There is an argument to be made if Vic didn't do it, he'd never come into conflict with the heroes at ALL, and his Conduit destiny would never have been fulfilled. But just because it's pivotal for Vic isn't why the issue is so significant. 

Before I returned to The Un-Iverse in 2015 for its final iteration, I quit the saga for almost 20 years. I added things on and off to the outline, but I resigned myself that this shit was NOT working out, and it would remain an unfulfilled ambition. What caused me to quit? 

UnComix One-Shots: The Humans. 

You may think the version of that you just read last issue was underwhelming. Trust me when I say the first attempt 25 years ago was downright appalling. I quit the saga in pure shame and embarrassment. 

As genre got worse and worse over the years in the meantime, and I got more and more fed up, I took another glance at the saga and tried to figure out how to salvage the mess I had made. I was shocked how surprisingly easy the fixes were, and a little proud of how strong the bones of the story always were. I tweaked the things that ruined the saga, and kept everything else the same, and it suddenly worked. 

But still, I had to get through the first 8 issues of Gilda And Meek, The entire Pontue Legacy, and the first One Shot all over again before I could actually add new material to the canon. Yes, technically "Skeletons" did not exist in the last iteration of The Un-Iverse, but all of the rest of the issues we saw existed in much worse earlier forms, with nearly identical plotlines, but absolutely shitty execution. 

So I rewrote and redrew those issues. And they were mostly good. And a couple were great.. And once I got to this one I was literally in uncharted territory for the first time in over 15 years. It was scary, exciting, and led to me finishing Gilda And Meek a few years later. I still haven't started or finished The Terran Wars, but I never dreamed I would actually make it this far. And me putting this specific issue to paper was the thing that did it. It's a milestone for sure, not just for being the catalyst for the main villain's turn to the Darkside. But for being the catalyst for The Un-Iverse moving forward at ALL. 



If you like Gilda And Meek Buy Me A Coffee!




 Copyright Matt Zimmer and UnComix 2017-2020.  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome To Gilda And Meek And The Un-Iverse!

1. Gilda And Meek "Groundwork" Special Edition (Un-Iverse #1)

Other Artists I Like