10. F.I.S.H. "Deep Space Swine" (Un-Iverse #66)

 Rating: PG. Some violence but nothing TOO bad. Some of it is upsetting but it is tolerable. 
































Author's Note for F.I.S.H. #10 "Deep Space Swine" (Un-Iverse #66)

I finally finished F.I.S.H.! Milestone! I never dreamed of making it this far as a teenager! This all seemed so daunting to me as a kid! 

As far as series finales go, this doesn't feel much like one. But that's also a deliberate Narrative choice on my end, because this isn't the actually end of Lance Lockjaw's story. Not by a longshot. 

The action sequence of Lance moving the ship around the comets, asteroids, and wormholes ain't no great shakes, but you can PROBABLY tell what everything is, (I think) so it gets the job done. Although as far as action sequences in The Un-Iverse go, it feels perfunctory, and as if it is going through the motions. Many Un-Iverse action sequences are boarded with genuine tension, but this one is not. 

I suppose having the story give the Narrator a literal panic attack at the end might be controversial (to put it mildly). Other mild criticisms that could be leveled at it are "trite", and "cloying". And those are potentially the Reader being nice. So knowing it could polarizing, why include it?

It felt like the proper character development for the Narrator, and I take his character development just as seriously as everybody else's. The Narrator is similar to me in being uneasy with F.I.S.H., and being a skeptic about the story's intentions and worth. He's a stand-in for Gilda And Meek readers who never signed up for a hardcore science fiction series. And I like the ending, because as the crew is feeling comfortable with each other for the first time ever, the Narrator himself is finally comfortable with F.I.S.H. for the first time ever too. Until he remembers the premise and realizes comfort is not in the cards for these characters. The Narrator's meltdown is bittersweet. It feels a bit annoyingly gimmicky, and also a harsh reminder that what we are seeing is a criticism of sci-fi heroes, not a merely exploration of them. And it feels true to me because the Narrator dropped his cynicism for F.I.S.H. for the first time, and came to the sad realization he'll never actually be allowed to do that. And it's effective because it reminds the reader the same damn thing. 

Cutesy or not (and it IS) is gets across a LOT of intention not just for the Narrator's character, but in how the reader should perceive this part of the canon. It's devastating and real for that reason. 

Next Issue: Lace Doilies #10 "Death Time" Un-Iverse #67

 Back To The Index

If you like Gilda And Meek Buy Me A Coffee!



Copyright Matt Zimmer and UnComix 2024.  All Rights Reserved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome To Gilda And Meek And The Un-Iverse!

1. Gilda And Meek "Groundwork" Special Edition (Un-Iverse #1)

2. Gilda And Meek "The Otterman Cometh" (Un-Iverse #2)